A variety of QuickTime videos and some audio clips with .mov filename extensions to play on Second Life streaming media textures and Freeview TVs in-world.
Use these to test your TV set, parcel media, and media-on-a-prim screens in Second Life
Second Life machinimas:
Click to view: Better Life Second Life machinima by Robbie Dingo with Better Life by Angry Man
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/BetterLife.mov
Click to view: Watch the World by Robbie Dingo from Vincent Van Gogh's The Starry Night with Vincent by Don McLean
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/WatchTheWorld.mov
Click to view: The making of Suzanne Vega's Second Life Guitar by Robbie Dingo with Suzanne Vega on the public radio show The Infinite Mind
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/SuzanneVegaGuitar.mov
Click to view: Forsythe Whitfield Poulet Shack Forsythe Whitfield/Hal Brolund/Manitoba Hal doin' a gig at Fishbelly's Juke Joint in Second Life.
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/ForsytheWhitfieldPouletShack.mov
Click to view: Rich Desoto Avatar Girl Rich Desoto (Rich Palmer) doing one of his two biggest hits of 2007 in Second Life.
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AvatarGirl_RichDesoto.mov
Click to view: Rich Desoto I Used To Sleep Rich Desoto (Rich Palmer) doing the other of his two biggest hits of 2007 in Second Life.
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/IUsedToSleep_RichDesoto.mov
Click to view: A Public Affair Rollerdisco, Second Life style, by Aenea Nori
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/APublicAffair_AeneaNori.mov
Click to view: Virtual Worlds: Libraries, Education, and Museums wireframe machinima by HVX Silverstar
Copy URL to TV player: http://blip.tv/file/662679
Click to view: A Place To Be In TSL by Pia Klaar of Second Life who also is Majenna Jewell in Teen Second Life
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/APlaceToBeInTSL_PiaKlaar.mov
Click to view: Teaching and Learning in Second Life – Four North Carolina Virtual Univerities by Larry Taylor and Claudia Kimbrough for 2008 UNC TLT
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/TLT_TeachingLearningSecondLife.mov
Click to view: UNC Distance Learning Forum 2008 Invitation to the UNC System's virtual DLF event at East Carolina University in Second Life
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/UNC DLF Forum 2008-12 video.mov
Click to view: Eleanor Roosevelt visits Michelle Obama at the White House DrM Magic's Second Life student machinima
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/DrM_Magic_SL_student_machinima.mov
Click to view: Intel Software in Second Life A place in-world for IT professionals to meet and exchange expertise.
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfIJWaCzrA
Click to view: Second Life: Making the Real World a Better Place Second Life machinima by Machinima by Silver & Goldie
Machinima by Silver & Goldie Second Life machinima collection by Silver & Goldie
Library Famous! Amazing Second Life machinimas on blip.tv by HVX Silverstar who is HVX Voyager in Teen Second Live
Eye4You episodes Machinimas on blip.tv by Pia Klaar of Second Life who is Majenna Jewell in Teen Second Life
i.Mirror is a series of acclaimed machinmas that, together, form a 28-minute SL documentary directed by China Tracy for China Pavilion, 52nd Venice Biennale 2007.
i.Mirror part 1
i.Mirror part 2
i.Mirror part 3
introduction to China Tracy
Second Life videos on YouTube
How to convert YouTube Flash to MP4 or QuickTime: Google easy way or see another way with VIXY, below
Click to view: 1984 Apple's classic Macintosh introduction ad with Anya Major as The Heroine and David Graham as Big Brother
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/1984.mov
Click to view: Think Different Apple's classic advertising slogan created in 1997
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AppleThinkDifferentAdCampaign.mov
Click to view: MacBook Air The envelope ad with New Soul by Yael Naim
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AppleMacBookAir_EnvelopeAd.mov
Click to view: I Can Do Anything Mac ad Christmas 2008
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/apple_getamac_i-can-do-anything_hp_20081216_r848-9scie.mov
Click to view: Tree Trimming Mac ad Christmas 2008
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/apple_getamac_tree-trimming_hp_20081216_r848-9scie.mov
More Apple QuickTime HD movie clips and trailers
Every Apple TV advertisement and Steve Jobs keynote speech since the dawn of time (in 1984) Gary Gray at Penn State
BBC Motion Gallery:
Click to view: King Lines BBC Motion Gallery trailer
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/KingLines.mov
Click to view: Wildlife BBC Motion Gallery trailer
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Wildlife.mov
Click to view: Life In The Blue BBC Motion Gallery trailer
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/LifeInTheBlue.mov
All of the BBC Motion Gallery videos
CBS News videos BBC Motion Gallery
China Central Television videos BBC Motion Gallery
NASA short videos:
Click to view: Apollo 16 astronauts on the Moon NASA history
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Apollo16.mov
Click to view: Shuttle astronaut's fishbowl in orbit NASA history
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AstronautFishbowl.mov
Click to view: 1986 shuttle Challenger explosion NASA history
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/ChallengerExplosion1986.mov
Click to view: Planet with three suns settting NASA digital graphics
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Planet3starsSunset.mov
NASA Video Gallery
Google Directory – NASA Movies
Other cool videos:
Click to view: Sean Quigley, Little Drummer Boy Best Christmas song performance of 2011, 3:57, 114 MB, wide
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Sean_Quigley_Little_Drummer_Boy.mov
Click to view: No Future Left Behind Education Really Needs An Upgrade, 5:45, 37.2 MB, 480x300
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/No_Future_Left_Behind.mov
Click to view: Got broadband? The Audio Mixers video demo
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AudioMixersDemo.mov
Click to view: An uncanny resemblance Jamie Lee Curtis, actress, and Carmela Burke, fundraiser, American Red Cross volunteers
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/JamieLeeCurtisRedCrossVol.mov
Click to view: Blue Electricity 00:10, 16.7 MB, 720x486
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/BlueElectricity.mov
Click to view: Tiny Glowing Pumpkin Movie The world's shortest movie
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/TinyGlowingPumpkinMovie.mov
Click to view: Alpine Meadows at Lake Tahoe Cold nights, warm days, time to farm some corn.
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/AlpineMeadowsLakeTahoe.mov
Click to view: New Moon: Reds Launch First Space Satellite 1957 newsreel, News in Brief, voice of Ed Herlihy, Universal International News
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Sputnik_Newsreel.mov
Click to hear: Sputnik 1... beep beep beep Sound recording
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Sputnik_Beep.mov
Click to view: Sea Lions, Bald Eagles, and Sea Gulls Straits of San Juan de Fuca, Victoria Island, Western Canda
Copy URL to TV player: http://stream.qtv.apple.com/channels/ali/racerocks/camera2_ref.mov
Click to view: Washington to Eisenhower American Presidents
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.archive.org/download/americas_presidents/americas_presidents_256kb.mp4
Internet Archive – Moving Image Archive
Click to hear: Sputnik 1... beep beep beep sound recording of space satellite sending telemetry via radio
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/Sputnik_Beep.mov
Click to hear: Telegraph hand key sending the letter V in Morse Code at 15 words per minute sound recording
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/straightkey15wpm.mov
Click to hear: Telegraph manual keyer sending "vvv vvv de n1fn n1fn n1fn k" in Morse Code at 28 words per minute sound recording
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/keyer28wpm.mov
Click to view: Academic Search Complete Database UNCP Livermore Library tutorial
Copy URL to TV player: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/LivermoreLibrary_tutorial_AcademicSearchComplete.mov
Using a Prim to Display Media by Stone Semyorka
1) A primitive or prim is the basic building block of Second Life. See: How to build in Second Life
2) The concept of HTML on a prim allows you to display static Web pages on prims on your land, or land where you have control privileges. This media-on-a-parcel feature allows landowners to select and display Web media content including Web pages, movies, images, text documents and audio. This capability expands the QuickTime parcel media feature, giving you more flexibility in media presentations.
3) For now, you can view media, but you can't click the displayed Web links, or use scroll bars, or press buttons on Web pages. That is, the media display is not interactive. However,it will be interactive in the future when a coming version of the Second Life viewer will allow you to interact with the Web pages you display on your prims.
4) The prim can look like a TV set or something else you dream up. How about a giant video display on the side of a blimp? Or a stadium scoreboard?
The video you display on the prim must be a QuickTime file with a .mov filename extension. See: New Media Video Sampler page.
How to make a prim to display media:
5) Create a prim on land you own or control in Second Life. It can be any size and shape you wish. To get started, make it 10m tall and 10m wide and as thin as you care to. The thinnest prim size available is 0.01m.
6) Put a texture on that prim that you will not use anywhere else on that parcel of land. The SL viewer comes with such a suitable texture in inventory named "*Default Media Texture." Use that one and don't use it on any other prim on your land. If you were to use it on other prims, the others with that texture would also display whatever your intended display prim was showing.
How to prepare your land parcel to display the media:
7) In the SL viewer, open "About Land." You can do this by clicking on the name of the land in the middle of the menu bar at the top of the viewer screen.
8) Select the Media tab.
9) Find "Media URL" at the top.
10) Set "URL" to a Web page.
11) On the pull down menu, set "Web Content" for media type.
12) Drag the "*Default Media Texture" from your inventory to the indicated place on the media panel.
13) Put a checkmark in in the auto scale box.
14) The prim is ready and the parcel of land is set up to show the Web page.
How to play the media on your prim:
15) You must be on the land parcel where you have the media prim. If you step off that land parcel onto another, you will not see the media being displayed on the prim.
16) You won't see the Web page displayed on the prim until you turn it on in your viewer. For your visitors to see it, they also must be on the land and turn in on in their viewers. Go to Edit > Preferences > Streaming preferences. Check all three.
17) Media control tab (lower right of main viewer screen) > thumbnail of Web page > click arrow on right if it is lit.
18) You should now see the Web page if you are on the land parcel. As media controller you have a few more steps to take full control.
19) Edit > Preferences > Web > Top options > turn on "Use built in Web broswer."
What to play:
20) On this page, select one of the video samples above to play on your prim. For example, you might select Robbie Dingo's SL machinima video "Better Life." To do so, copy it's URL to your computer's clipboard: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/BetterLife.mov [This page is New Media Video Sampler page]
21) Alternatively, you can type a test URL in chat. Press return. Open chat history, find the url in blue. click on it. The built in Web browser should open. Navgate to a Web page other than the one you have on the screen. Find control bar near top of browser window, saying "Send Current URL to Parcel.' Click on it
22) The screen on your parcel should now change to the page in your browser. In that way you can make the screen navigate the Web under your control.
See also: Parcel Media Video Tutorials: How to play movies, Web pages, & more! by Torley Linden
How to play movies, Web pages, & more on your land
How to make your own media screen
How to use parcel media click actions
SL Knowledge Base article: Media on a parcel
How to convert YouTube videos for playing in Second Life by Torley Linden
1) QuickTime doesn't play Flash video which YouTube uses. Here's a way to convert YouTube videos.
2) VIXY offers a free service to convert YouTube videos to QuickTime-playable MP4 files.
3) Copy the URL of the desired YouTube page, paste it in the "URL" field, and set "Converts to" to "MP4â€¦".
4) Press "Start." It will take some minutes.
5) When the progress bar completes, it will offer for download a file with an odd name like "a9add8b1e9aff307910f3e119f15c7fe.mp4."
6) Download it and rename it to something short and meaningful.
7) Play it to ensure it works. There will be a vixy.net watermark for the last 2 seconds of the video.
8) In QuickTime Pro, you can use QuickTime Player's basic editing tools to remove the watermark by scrolling to the end and then holding down the Delete key until those frames are removed.
9) To use the file, it must be on a web servber. Upload it to a host server. For example, FTP it to Dreamhost. Or you could upload it to an online video service like Blip.tv.
10) The file on the web server can be reached by the in-world TV player.
11) If VIXY says "Error: URL resolve error," ignore that and retry.
12) It's not unusual for QuickTime in Second Life to feel sluggish or jerky when a movie first starts streaming.
Posted: 2007-05-19 Retrieved: 2008-02-11
See also: Play YouTube Mobile videos directly in Second Life by Torley Linden
In addition, Videobox is an inexpensive product for sale here that converts Flash from most video sites to Quicktime.
How To Play a Video on a Second Life Freeview TV Set by Stone Semyorka
1) Build or obtain a SL Freeview TV Set.
If you build, the script you want is called "Freeview."
2) Click on the TV screen. A blue monitor control panel with 13 buttons will drop down.
3) Select video.
4) Click "TV Guide" to see and select from the online bookmarks.
The video must be a QuickTime file with a .mov filename extension.
4) Go on the Web to the New Media Video Sampler page at:
5) Select one of the video samples to play on the TV set.
For example, you might select Robbie Dingo's SL machinima video "Better Life."
Select and copy it's URL to your computer's clipboard:
6) Return to Second Life and, on the monitor control panel, click the "Set URL" button.
7) Type /1 and the video URL into your chat text area like this:
8) Click the "Say" button.
9) Then, click "ok" on the monitor control panel.
10) The TV set will say something like this:
"Object: New media URL set: http://www.spacetoday.org/VirtualWorlds/videos/BetterLife.mov"
11) The blue monitor control panel will reappaer. Select and click the "Play" button.
12) The TV set screen will turn blue while it goes to the Web and locates the video you selected to play.
13) The video starts playing.
14) If you need to stop the video while it is playing, click the TV screen and the blue monitor control panel will return. Click the "Stop" button.
Use Video Display Second Life Pre-Fabs for Scripted Control of Your Media URL by Keith Mitchell
1) Manually setting the media URL works fine for the owner of the land, but is not very convenient if you need to show several different URLs in a presentation. Also you may wish to allow group control of the video showing.
2) There are lots of video displays available in Second Life. Just search for video display in SL or on SLExchange.
3) One of the most popular displays for educators is the Freeview Video Display. It is free and allows the transfer to a group owned land. Freeview will allow you to have a long list of video urls that can be displayed quickly from a SL button display. It also allows you to "chat" a url to the display. You could give learners a notecard with hundreds of URL after training them to copy and chat the URL to the display.
4) There are many other video products for sale in SL. If you need the display to work on group owned land, do some research as not all will work.
5) Another product is the NHC Media Center, which will allow you to create bookmarks of video URLs or chat a url to the display. This display has the ability to display a YouTube video by giving the display the video's web page URL. The display automatically determines the media type from the web page.
Source: Second Life Education Wiki